LETS: Library E-Tutorial for Students
LETS is series of online tutorials for students to help you to locate, evaluate and use information effectively.
Each will take you about thirty minutes to complete.
- introduce you to the different types of information sources you will be using while studying in DCU, explain the differences between them and the advantages of each
- show you how understand your module's reading lists and use the reading lists to locate books and journal articles in the Library
- show you how to access DCU Library's online resources when you're off-campus
LETSfind will show you how to search for and evaluate information for your assignments outside of your modules' reading lists. You will learn how to:
- search Summon, the Library's discovery service
- run simple and more advanced searches with the Library's journal databases
- use Google Scholar and become familiar with our tips and tricks for better Web searching
- make sure you're finding the most appropriate, high-quality information you need for your assignments
LETScite will help you to:
- understand what plagiarism is and the importance of always acknowledging the work and ideas of others
- paraphrase or quote information in your assignments correctly by citing your sources using the Harvard style and APA styles of referencing
- develop a reference list of the sources used in your assignments using the Harvard style and APA styles of referencing
Information for lecturers
You can easily integrate LETS with your modules. You can either embed them as optional supports for students or you can fully integrated them as compulsory part of the curriculum. Setting it up is easy: your Subject Librarian can advise you on this.
Non-DCU users can access LETS here.