Theses & Dissertations
DCU Research Theses (Research Masters and PhD)
The Library receives print and electronic copies of all DCU Research Masters and PhD theses. Theses from 1985 are availalbe online via DORAS, DCU's Open Access Institutional Repository. Print copies are held in store and can be requested at the Information Desk in O'Reilly Library.
DCU Taught Postgraduate Dissertations
Dissertations are available in print only. Four years (2010-2015) are shelved on the ground floor in O'Reilly Library, beside the Information Desk. They are shelved alphabetically by author's surname. Previous years are kept in the store and can be requested to view at the Information Desk.
Dissertations cannnot be borrowed from the Library. The Library does not hold dissertations for all courses: each school decides whether or not to send them to the Library.
How do I search for theses and dissertations?
DCU theses and dissertations are listed in the Library Catalogue. To find a thesis or dissertation on a particular topic, click on Advanced Search, enter your search term in the all of these words search box and select theses from the collections drop-down box. This will limit your search to theses and dissertations. The catalogue links to online versions of theses where available.
To search for dissertations from a particular taught masters programme simply type the full course name (e.g. MA in Communication and Cultural Studies) in the all of these words search box and select theses from the collections drop-down box.
DCU St Patrick's campus theses and dissertations are held behind the library reception desk in Cregan library. The titles can be searched through the library catalogue or with the printed list available at the reception desk. Theses and dissertations can be consulted within the library for a maximum period of 3 hours.
- Index to Theses (Ireland) - a subset of the Index to theses database limited to theses from Irish universities. It provides access to abstracts of research masters and PhD theses only.
- Search Irish universities' and institutes of education's library catalogues, link here to catalogues of other libraries.
- RIAN: limited full-text access to research theses from seven Irish universities and DIT.
- Index to Theses (UK): theses from UK and Ireland universities. Does not include full-text.
- EThOS: the British Library's electronic thesis online service offers access to theses from participating institutions. Digitised full-text theses are freely available but registration is needed. If you find theses that have not yet been digitised you can request it for a fee.
- DART-Europe E-theses Portal: 1000s of full-text theses from selected British universities.
International Theses (English speaking countries)
- Australia and New Zealand
Finding Australian theses
Kiwi Research Information Service
Theses Canada Portal: abstracts for theses and dissertations. Includes limited access to full-text for more recent theses.
- United States
Dissertation Abstracts: abstracts only for over 2 million doctoral dissertations and master's theses from 1861 to date. Full-text may be purchased for a fee.
International Theses (Europe)
DART-Europe E-theses Portal: over 400,000 full-text theses in English and other languages from participating universities in 27 European countries.
SUDOC: bibliographic information on dissertations/theses produced inn French academic libraries. Use simple or extended search and limit by "dissertation note"
Dissonline: full-text access to doctoral and professorial dissertations organised by the German National Library
Tesis doctorales: information on doctoral theses. Some full-text access. Catalogue also available through the Catalogo general page. Database maintained by Biblioteca Virtual Miguel de Cervantes
Teseo: information on doctoral theses. Database maintained by the Spanish Ministry of Education and Science
International Theses (others)
Database of African Theses and Dissertations (DATAD): access to brief citations only
WorldCat searches the catalogues of more than 10,000 libraries worldwide. To search for theses only go to Advanced Search and select Thesis/Dissertations from the Content drop-down box.
Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations (NDLTD): union catalogue of member institutions (mostly from US, but some from the rest of the Americas and Europe). Some full-text access.