The School of Health and Human Performance laboratories extend over an area of 1,100 m2. These laboratories cater for teaching, research and consultancy in the fields of both
- sport science and
- physical activity for health.
Exercise and Sport Physiology
The exercise and sport physiology laboratories cover an area of 192 m2. It includes a Human Performance Laboratory, a Clinical Exercise Physiology Laboratory, a Clinical Exercise Research Laboratory, a Biochemistry Laboratory and an Examination/Procedure Room.
- Sensormedics Vmax 29d metabolic system
- Sensormedics Vmax 229 metabolic system
- Marquette treadmill series 2000
- Woodway treadmill ELG 55
- Monark cycle ergometers, models 824E, 828E
- Monark rehabilitation ergometer
- Sensormedics ergoline 900 electronically braked cycle ergometer
- Marquette Case 8000 ECG monitoring system
- Body composition assessment instrumentation
- Field fitness testing equipment
- YSI 2300 Glucose/Lactate analyser (dual channel capability)
- Microcentrifuge Sigma 1-15
Exercise and Sport Biomechanics
The exercise and sport biomechanics laboratory extends over 160m2.
Eight Camera VICON 512 M series camera system [Vicon Polygon & Body Builder]
- HUMAN 3D motion analysis
- Three Canon XM1 Mini-dv camcorders (20x optical zoom)
- Matrox 2000 Real-time video editor (Adobe Premier 6RT, Cool3D)
- Video Projector
2 AMTI force plates and Biosoft force plate software [600x900mm and 600x400mm]
- Newtest power timer with large box (timing gates)
- Stability Platform Model
- Various skeletal and muscle models.
Exercise and Sport Psychology area
The exercise and sport psychology area includes a fully equipped human interaction and qualitative research laboratory. It is over 70 m2 in area. On the motor skills side there is a range of assessment and measurement devices for recording motor learning and control. These include:
- 2 Arm Co-ordination Test Model
- Reversible Pencil Maze Model
- Deluxe Multichoice Reaction Time Apparatus
- Stability Platform Model
- Multifunction Timer Counter for Stability Platform model 54035A*C
- Complete Minnesota Dexterity Test (32023A)
- Grooved Pegboard Model 32025
- Mirror Tracer (31010)
- Bassin Anticipation Timer (50575*C)
Muscle Core Laboratory: laboratory for the analysis of human tissue.
- -20 and -80 degree freezers,
- ACTDiff2 Cell Blood Count Analyser,
- Randox Daytona,
- Refrigerated centrifuge,
- ELISA spectrophotometer,
- electrophoreses gel rig and Western Blot equipment.
Metabolic Research Unit: unit dedicated to the study of metabolic disorders such as diabetes type 2 and the effect of exercise on these disorders.
- autoclave system
- glucose analysers
90 sq metres office space for postgraduates students.
Performance assessment room (blue room):
100 sq metres area for fitness assessment.
Dedicated space for weight equipment.
- Video analysis area
- Resource storage area
Pedagogy/motor skills practical area:
- Gymnastics mats
- Kicking net
- 2 pendulums