DCU supports the holistic development of talented athletes and recognises their increasing need to successfully balance both academic and sporting commitments. DCU facilitates this vision through the Sports Scholarship Programme. The Sport Scholarship programme is an athlete led development programme whereby a network of support services and expertise are tailored to the individual needs of the athlete. The programme grades support depending on the athlete's achievement, potential and need, with the objective of remaining flexible to support the diverse needs of the athlete. Athletes are allocated a Sport Scholarship at one of two levels – Elite or Talented and up to a maximum of €3000 in support services.
Sport Scholarships were first introduced in DCU in 1996 in the form of GAA sport scholarships. In recent years the programme has expanded greatly and students have been awarded sport scholarships in Athletics, Basketball, Boxing, Camogie, Canoe, Gaelic Football, Golf, Handball, Hockey, Hurling, Rugby, Rowing, Sailing, Soccer and Tennis. DCU is also committed to the development of sporting excellence amongst students with a disability. To demonstrate this, resources have been allocated towards supporting talented athletes with a physical disability.
The DCU Sports Scholarship programme offers a wide range of support services for talented athletes as part of a balanced approach to training, performance and academic excellence. The programme is athlete led and grades support depending on the athlete's achievement, potential and need, with the objective of remaining flexible to support the diverse needs of athletes.
Please note the Sport Scholarship Programme is co-ordinated by the Sports Development Service and is separate to the Elite Sportspersons Entry Scheme that is co-ordinated by Registry. Sport Scholarships are only offered to students that have met the DCU admission requirements through the CAO system and are enrolled on a programme of academic study at DCU. The offer of a Sport Scholarship award does not include any special reductions in entry criteria or the offer of an academic place at DCU. Talented athletes that wish to be considered for the Elite Sportspersons Entry Scheme will need to make a separate application to Registry at DCU. For further information click here.
The benefits of a DCU Sport Scholarship award may include:
- High Performance Gym
- 25m Recovery Pool
- Ice baths
- Indoor Sprint Track
- Flexibility Studio
- Subsidised campus accommodation
- Financial support for academic fees, equipment, books, travel to competition etc
- High Performance Education Talks and Workshops
- Goal Setting and Performance Planning
- Career Guidance Support
- Personal tuition (where necessary)
- Access to National & International elite competition
- Fitness Testing
- Sports Injury Management
- Strength & Conditioning
- Sports Psychology
- Sports Nutrition
- Biomechanical Analysis
*Please note support services are dependant on the grade of scholarship awarded and may be paid in full or subsidised. Additional support may be given to athletes on a discretionary basis by request to the Sport Scholarship Committee.
To apply for the DCU Sports Scholarship programme athletes must fulfil the eligibility criteria listed below**:
- Applications will be considered from current students and also from prospective students. In order to be considered for a sport scholarship prospective students must meet the DCU admission requirements through the CAO system and must enrol on a programme of academic study at DCU. Current students must show academic progression and maintain a satisfactory academic standard throughout the duration of their course.
- Only sports recognised by the Irish Sports Council will be considered. Please contact the Irish Sports Council for more information on tel: 01 860 8800 or visit www.irishsportscouncil.ie
- Compete and perform at International, National, Inter-provincial, Inter-County and/or Senior Club level
- Maintain an appropriate level of commitment to the DCU sports club in your sport, in intervarsity and other competitions and/or training
- Contribute to the administration, coaching, promotion and development of the DCU club
**Please note that meeting all the above criteria does not mean automatic acceptance to the Scholarship Programme. The eligibility and selection criteria reflect the evolving nature of the Sport Scholarship Programme and DCU reserves the right to amend the criteria for selection according to the requirements of the scheme.
Short listed applicants will be invited to attend an interview. The panel will consider the applicants current level of performance to include frequency and duration of achievement, potential in their sport and the possible contribution to sport at DCU.
To apply for a Sport Scholarship please send a completed application form by post only to:
DCU Sports Development Service
Henry Grattan Building,
Dublin City University,
Sport Scholarship application forms for Entry 2015-2016 are available to download here.
For all general Sports Scholarships enquiries contact:
Senior Sports Development Officer
Tel: 01 700 5811
For Athletics Scholarships contact:
Director Athletics Academy & Head Coach
Tel: 01 700 8479
For GAA Scholarships contact:
GAA Academy Director
Tel: 01 700 5050
For Hurling, Camogie, Handball contact:
GAA Development Officer
Tel: 087 915 4748
For GAA Recruitment, Football contact:
Tel: 087 947 3962
For Rugby Scholarships contact:
Rugby Development Officer
Tel: 01 700 8722
For Soccer Scholarshipscontact:
Soccer Development Officer
Tel: 01 700 8722